16 September 2012

237. Briefly: Packet corrupt during ssh sessions

Whenever I'm using two subnets for my cluster I seems to be having problems with:
Corrupted MAC on input.
Disconnecting: Packet corrupt
It particularly happens when there's a lot of information being passed to the screen. It's a right killer when you're compiling on a remote system. However, while I've been able to get around that by running a GNU Screen session on the remote box it was time to solve it.\


I googled and found:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.17/+bug/60764


The subnet I'm having issues with is operation across a switch. One of the computers on the network is defined as the gateway and I tend to have problems when connecting from it to the other computers on the network.
The gateway server has two interfaces, eth0 which is connected to a router which is connected to the outside world, and eth1 which is connected to the local subnet I'm having problems with.

The fix has been as as simple as
sudo apt-get install ethtool
sudo ethtool -K eth1 rx off tx off

I only had to run this on the gateway box and so far I've had no issues. Depending on how you're managing your network interfaces (i.e. wicd, network-manager, /etc/networking/*) you may want to add it to the post-up section of your /etc/network/interfaces:
post-up ethtool -K eth1 rx off tx off

Links to this post:
http://winscp.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12469

No comments:

Post a Comment