06 March 2014

562. Pulling in glibc >=2.14 from testing to stable: apt-pinning

Mixing releases is dangerous and can lead to broken systems.

Having said that, increasingly a lot of programs seem to rely on glibc >=2.14, and wheezy (current stable) only has 2.13.


Apt-pinning:

Edit the following files:
/etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://ftp.iinet.net.au/debian/debian wheezy main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.iinet.net.au/debian/debian wheezy-backports main
deb http://ftp.iinet.net.au/debian/debian jessie main contrib non-free 

/etc/apt/preferences
Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 10

Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 900

Then run
sudo apt-get update

Installation

Installing glibc >=2.13 from testing
sudo apt-get install -t testing libc6-dev


Every package you install takes you closer to trouble...

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, this solution worked perfectly for me.

    I would like to note that instead of

    ...
    Package: *
    Pin: release a=testing
    ...

    you can use

    ...
    Package: *glibc*
    Pin: release a=testing
    ...

    If I understand correctly, this gave me the new libc version that i needed without updating everything during update. (I could easily be wrong, though!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    I'm a newbie using Linux Debian Wheezy, and I would need some help, plz.

    When I run this:

    sudo apt-get install -t testing libc6-dev

    It suggests me to delete A LOT of packets. Is there a solution?

    Thanls

    ReplyDelete
  3. Works a treat, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. works. needed this to get eclipse dev working

    ReplyDelete