18 October 2012

259. Compiling firefox 16.0.1 in debian testing/wheezy

I actually mainly use chromium/chrome for my normal browsing needs, and have set up an ssh tunnel with an American university for iceweasel so I can access sites that filter on IP.

There's nothing particularly wrong with iceweasel, but it's nice to check out the latest and shiniest versions of different projects every now and again, so here's how to compile the latest firefox:

The source is just a hair under 90 Mb and the build takes around 40 minutes on a three-core AMD.

I've got so many -dev packages installed on my system that I don't really know what the dependencies are anymore, but here's a guess:
sudo apt-get install build-essential gfortran gawk libpango1.0-dev libgconf2-dev libgnomevfs2-dev libcogl-pango-dev libpangomm-1.4-dev libgconfmm-2.6-dev libnotify-dev libgnomeui-dev libdbus-1-dev libdbus-glib-1-dev 

Anyway:
cd ~/tmp
wget ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/16.0.1/source/firefox-16.0.1.source.tar.bz2
tar xvf firefox-16.0.1.source.tar.bz2
mkdir firefox_build
cd firefox_build/
../mozilla-release/./configure --prefix=$HOME/.firefox --disable-necko-wifi
make
make install

I'm getting tired of the clutter in my PATH, so
echo "alias firefox16='$HOME/.firefox/bin/firefox'" >> ~/.bashrc



Note that iceweasel puts a firefox in/usr/bin/, hence the use of firefox16

No comments:

Post a Comment