20 October 2012

261. Disable tracker-miner-fs

Looking at my ~/.local/share/tracker folder I've got 1.5 Gb wasting away. Also, tracker has a way of eating up CPU cycles,. Given that I never do any desktop searches -- I use either 'locate' or 'find' in the terminal and they do exactly what I need -- I don't see much point in allowing tracker to run.

1. If you're in a gui you can run tracker-preferences  and disable the indexing of all folders.

2. To delete existing tracker logs you need to do
tracker-control -r

This kills all running tracker processes and removes the databases.

3. Finally, edit /etc/xdg/autostart/tracker-miner-fs.desktop and tracker-store.desktop and change

X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true

to

X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=false

8 comments:

  1. Excellent, it was eating up my CPU and Memory

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I wanted to get rid of it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip. It was starting to seriously eat all I/O on my Deb laptop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Easy, like a piece of art. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. With tracker 1.10 (Debian flavor) use `tracker reset -r` to kill all running processes and purge the database.

    ReplyDelete