09 July 2020

660. Teaching in the pandemic, part 3: What I'll be doing to capture live lectures. Audio.

I've looked at a few different solutions, but I've basically settled on recording video and audio separately. The downside of this is that I won't stream. The advantage is that I can do post-processing to add clearer pictures of slides etc.

The video part is pretty straight forward. See e.g. http://verahill.blogspot.com/2020/07/659-teaching-during-pandemic-part-2.html

When it comes to audio I've explored a range of solutions:

* Bluetooth headset -- this would've allowed me to stream, but the sound quality is just too poor with bluetooth (I tried Blueparrot B350-XT). For an example of how bad it can be, check out this corporate(!) video:
Advantage: wireless, can stream, only covers one ear
Disadvantage: Sound quality

* 2.4 GHz Wireless headset -- I tested Logitech G930. The sound quality is OK, but it covers both ears, and makes it hard/ uncomfortable to deal with a live audience.
Advantage: sound quality, wireless, can stream
Disadvantage: shuts out the live audience

* 'Normal' microphones -- I have a number of microphones, including Blue Yeti. Many of them are wired (USB), and none of them will work in capturing a moving (i.e. mobile) lecturer.
Advantage: superior audio -- when very close, streaming
Disadvantage: poor audio unless you're right in front of the mic

* Mobile phone lavalier mic -- See here for how to do that: http://verahill.blogspot.com/2020/07/658-teaching-during-pandemic-part-1-how.html.
Advantage: great sound, mobile, can potentially stream
Disadvantage: drains phone battery, can be tricky to set up LAN, if using receiving device (laptop) as hotspot you may not be able to connect to the internet (i.e. can't stream)

My chosen solution:
* Using a portable audio recorder (e.g. dictaphone) --  I've got a Zoom H1n, and a lavalier microphone. I love this microphone. It's lightweight, portable, not too expensive, and the internal XY microphone is great (to my ears). The amplifier for external mics is a bit weak, but it works for my purposes, especially if you post-process in Audacity. But that leaves you having to sync your video and your audio in post. I've already showed you how easy it is to do that here: http://verahill.blogspot.com/2020/07/659-teaching-during-pandemic-part-2.html

Note that you need to invest in a decent lavalier microphone as well. Also note that most these days seem to come with a 3.5 mm TRRS connector (good for mobile phones), and the Zoom needs 3.5 mm TRS (the old standard). Many of the cheap/affordable lavalier mics that you find on e.g. Amazon come with TRS/TRRS adapters, so it's not much of an issue.

Advantage: potentially great sound, great battery life
Disadvantage: you can't stream live, needs a lavalier microphone

So there we are -- I'll set up a single webcam to record video directly to my laptop. I'll capture the sound using it as well, but mostly to help me sync the audio later. I'll record my voice using a dictaphone and a lavalier microphone, post-process the sound in Audacity, then import video and audio in KDENLive, where I'll sync everything. I can then add pictures of my slides as well, and don't have to worry about the image quality during recording.

No comments:

Post a Comment