09 July 2020

661. Teaching during the pandemic, part 4: making simple video lectures

This post is a bit different from the previous ones -- it simply shows what I've been doing for some time to create supporting videos for my students.


I record my voice using Audacity, and I use KDENLive to make the videos. I make slides using google docs.

Once you've got used to this you can make a bunch of short videos (aim at 6 minutes or so) in a single day.

Here's my work flow:

1. Create a script for the audio. 
I basically write down everything I'm going to say before I've made my slides. I then make the slides to match the script.

I use gedit to write my script.

2. Create the slides to match the audio
I use google slides:


I export each slide as a png:
3. Record the audio in audacity
Use a good microphone! I'm using a Blue Yeti, which is great.

NOTE: each audio file should correspond to a single slide, or part of a slide. Not the other way around. It makes step 4 easier, and helps if you need to redo the audio for a section.

Export the audio in a suitable format (e.g. flac)
4. Fire up KDENLive

Import your clips.

Add your audio to the Audio channel

Then add the png files to the video channel. Stretch the duration of each image file to match the duration of the audio.


Once you're done, render the video:

That's all!


Now you can combine the teaching posts to create something that works for you. Here are the links again:
* Mobile phone lavalier mic: http://verahill.blogspot.com/2020/07/658-teaching-during-pandemic-part-1-how.html
* Recording (several) cameras and syncing: http://verahill.blogspot.com/2020/07/659-teaching-during-pandemic-part-2.html
* Dealing with audio: http://verahill.blogspot.com/2020/07/660-teaching-in-pandemic-part-3-what.html

No comments:

Post a Comment